Several years ago I heard of “Guesting Laws” from a Swedish friend. I have not been able to find anything about it anywhere. It’s such a good idea I thought I would create some guidelines:
1. Give your host(s) some idea of your plans during your stay. Don't keep your host guessing. Be clear about your plans during your stay; especially your plans for departure.
2. Keep your belongings tidy. Staying in a spare bedroom allows for more flexibility, but generally speaking, make your bed/fold your blankets, and put your belongings in one organized, out of the way pile.
3. Be prompt and polite during feeding times.
4. Make yourself available. If you're living with others and contributing to the mess you too, should help out with the house chores.
5. Leave a small gift relative to your appreciation. It's always a nice gesture to leave a gift. If you're enjoying a meal with your host, wine/mead is an easy way to go. If you're just sleeping there it would be appropriate to leave something at the end of your stay.
6. In short, just behave. Appreciate what has been done for you. Make Ms. Manners proud!